Canada to introducin an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) from 15 March 2016.
Posted on September 11, 2015 by FCm Travel Solutions UK
- The eTA is required only for those entering Canada by air. Overland travel from the USA and entry by sea are exempt.
- This new entry requirement is not mandatory until 15 March 2016 however, from 01 August 2015, eligible travellers will have the opportunity to go online and apply for their eTA.
- People are encouraged to apply as early as possible to ensure they have pre-clearance to enter Canada.
- A fee of CAD$7 is payable for processing an application for an electronic travel authorisation.
- The process for application will be the same as the ESTA - due to privacy legislation customers must complete this themselves and the parents / guardians for any travelling children or infants.
- The eTA is not a visa. People who require a visa to enter Canada will still need to apply for the appropriate entry visa.
- An electronic travel authorisation is valid for a period of five years from the day on which it is issued to the applicant or until the earliest of the following days, if they occur before the end of that period:
- the day on which the applicant’s passport or other travel document expires,
- the day on which the electronic travel authorisation is cancelled, or
- the day on which a new electronic travel authorisation is issued to the applicant